Monday, December 12, 2011

Is there a certain length of time given to a person to cash or deposit a personal check?

I wrote out a 500 check for my security deposit and it hasn't posted yet to my account but the check I wrote out for the rent has posted. I wrote out the check for the rent only a couple days later. Is there a length of time where the check expires and can no longer be cashed??|||I work for a bank so you could rely on my answer. A personal check is negotioable (can be cashed) for 6 months unless otherwise stated on the check.|||A personal check stale dates after 6 months from the date on the check. Business checks default to the same as a personal check, unless otherwise indicated on the check. A bank check (official/cashiers) never expires, however can be subject to abandoned property laws depending on the State.|||As long as your account is still open the check can be cashed. Check with the landlord.|||they say 180 days but that is usually for payroll and government checks.|||I have put a 90 day expiration date on my checks but the bank will cash others for 6 months.|||Not really, but don't spend the money, call the landlord and ask them.|||Check is considered good for 6 months. Don't spend the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment