Thursday, December 8, 2011

Is 24 hours a fair amount of time to give a former landlord who is wrongfully withholding a deposit?

By Arizona law, a landlord must release any security deposit being held within 14 days of the termination of a rental agreement. My rental agreement terminated on September 30, and I haven't heard anything from the landlord. I've been advised that I need to give a written demand for the amount I am owed, giving a specified amount of time for them to release it. I can't find any information on what a "reasonable" amount of time would be.|||In many states a landlord who fails to comply with the time limit loses his ability to deduct any damages and must fully refund the deposit. Check to see if AZ does it this way. I'll bet it's the same in AZ.





Send him a letter certified with a return receipt. Tell him he's got 5 business days to have the money, all the money, in your hands or you are going to file against him in small claims court.|||I would guess 5 working days from the time you give him notice. 24 would be nice but doubtful.|||I'd say three days. Check with your local apartment owners' association; they will have the straight dope.|||Usually it is ten days from the date of the notice.|||I don't think so. Maybe a week? There probably is some sort of standard for this; try to find a website for renters' rights in AZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment